Monday, May 25, 2009

Good for the Soul

For those who have had the distinct pleasure of taking Economics at Mercer from Dr Mounts, the phrase should be familiar. He would often tell my class of the opera being played on public radio on Saturday afternoon eventhough none of us seemed to care. He would finish with "It is good for the soul!"

I never got into opera, but Dr Mounts did explain many wonders of human behavior to me. He also made me realize that there were other pursuits besides academia. I think of him to this day when I take time from my day to enjoy art, music, literature, or any other creative expression. It is good for the soul.

The most recent was the Terracotta Army at the High Museum. The exhibit has closed, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it. I was amazed by what a 2000+ year old culture was able to create. Beautiful, intricate jade and bronze pieces along side life-sized clay warriors that have survived to this day.

Which of our creations will survive that long?

No comments: